If you want to start blogging, BecomeABlogger is a great place to start! They offer some great free video tutorials.
Although there are free online blogging services, we highly recommend the hosted WordPress Blog.
My #1 recommended complete WordPress CloudHosting
What Is “Wordpress”?
WordPress is a free blogging platform that anyone can use. A “blog” is an online journal, and is proven to be the most effective way of building a website from scratch with no experience.
But don’t let the words ‘journal’ fool you. It’s not just a ‘diary’ to record your personal experience and daily ramblings.
With a WordPress blog, you can build an entire website on a particular topic and dominate the entire industry. The gurus call this an ‘authority’ website.
Isn’t It Just Easier To Use Blogger or Blogspot?
Easier? Maybe.Better? Definitely not.
Yes, it’s easy to set-up a blog with Blogspot.com and get your own Bloggger account. You can be done in 10 minutes flat. Blogger also has built-in functions to add Adsense codes directly into their platform.
In fact I started with Blogger and I won’t say that it’s bad. But after a while I started to get frustrated with Blogger, and here’s why:
1. Google Owns Your Content – Google has the authority to shut down your account without warning if they don’t like what you’re blogging about. You have no control over your own blog. With WordPress, you own the domain name and the blog is hosted on your own account. You have full control over your content.
2. Lack of advanced options – Blogger doesn’t allow categories. You can’t sort your articles into different focuses. With WordPress, not only can you add categories, you can also add as many plugins as you want easily and even add audio or video to your content.
3. Publishing with Blogger is a pain in the ass – It can take forever to post articles on the Blogger platform, especially if you’re making changes to the entire website.
4. You can’t brand yourself – Of course with Blogger you can publish to your own domain, but you can’t do significant changes to it. I can identify Blogger sites immediately, but with WordPress you can customize and brand almost anything you want. You can also install WordPress on an existing website as a sub-domain or sub-directory if you want.
5. Limited promotion options – When you post in Blogger, you can only “ping” a limited amount of sites, whereas with WordPress on your own domain you can ping as many blog directories as you want, and start getting more traffic.
In fact, there are other platforms like MSN Spaces, Typepad, and even MySpace. But these solutions are severely limited.
When you start using WordPress to build your websites, you’ll soon discover what I mean. It’s something you need to experience for yourself.
When you go WordPress, you don’t go back!
Another way of generating traffic to your blog or site is to post comments on other popular blogs. This will help your page rank and gives you more exposure to your links online. Here’s a list of the top 100 most popular blogs in the world. It is recommended make sure your comments don’t look too “spammy” and always remember to include your link in your signature.